Re: Using Array-Values in subselect

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: Alvar Freude <alvar(dot)freude(at)merz-akademie(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using Array-Values in subselect
Date: 2000-11-14 21:15:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

Alvar Freude wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i want to create a linked structure of values. Each text has an id, an
> array of children ids and the value itself.

Looks like you want something similar to Oracle's CONNECT BY statement.
There are some solutions to that. At OpenACS we had to deal with that so
implemented something like what you described here.
However, the methods described by Joe Celko is his book "SQL For
Smarties" on chapters 28 and 29 (I think) are better and more robust. If
you search for "trees" and related topics at the openacs.org and
arsdigita.com's web/db web bulletin boards, you'll find several hits.

-Roberto Mello

P.S: I know this doesn't directly anwser your question, but points you
to where to find the answer for yourself.
--
Computer Science Utah State University
Space Dynamics Laboratory Web Developer