Re: Re: Requests for Development

From: KuroiNeko <evpopkov(at)carrier(dot)kiev(dot)ua>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Requests for Development
Date: 2000-11-10 10:00:50
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

> I wonder if there couldn't borrowed some code from Interbase which has
> full featured stored procedures - at least it was told to me that it has

Well, I have some hands-on experience with IB, don't know whether this is
perfectly relevant, but here goes....
Indeed, stored procedures in IB can do what's called `returning record
sets' in this thread. This is helpfull when tuples restriction is based
upon condition that is not easy/possible to formulate in SQL (where
clause). On the other hand, IB has two different ways to call an SP:
execute procedure for `singleton' SPs and select for those returning
multiple tuples.
However, IB supports only its own SP language. It's pretty much complete
and well thought and implemented, but if you want an SP in PERL, you're out
of luck.
What I'd really like to see is `pre-compiled' SPs in PGSQL. IB has this
feature (SPs are converted to BLR when DDL statement is executed), not sure
about PGSQL. I've noticed that language-specific errors in SPs are only
reported by PGSQL when SP is executed, so I suggest that interpreter (eg
for PL/PGSQL) is called each time.

--

Sniper's rifle is an extension of his eye. He kills with his injurious vision.

JM