Re: [INTERFACES] DBD::Pg installation seems to fail with 7.1 libs

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] DBD::Pg installation seems to fail with 7.1 libs
Date: 2000-11-04 07:43:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> Thomas, you've been muttering about altering the type resolution rules
> so that "unknown" will be treated as "text" when all else fails. Are
> you planning to commit such a thing for 7.1? If not, I'll probably have
> to hack up parse_coerce.c's select_common_type(), along the lines of

I'm *finally* getting several patches together, to do the following
things:

o Fix the type resolution for unknown function arguments to fall back to
"text" or a string type, if available. Previously discussed.

o Implement an AT TIME ZONE clause, per SQL9x. Will handle an INTERVAL
argument, per standard, and also accept a string containing a time zone
spec, per existing PostgreSQL extension. Previously discussed.

o Fix timestamp/interval math across daylight savings time boundaries.
Previously discussed.

o Allow interpretation of "hh:mm:ss" as INTERVAL input. I can't remember
if I've mentioned this one before.

o Fix output of INTERVAL when sign of year/month is different than sign
of hour/min/sec. This is accompanied by changes in the "ISO" form of
output to more closely resemble a "hh:mm:ss" format. I just noticed the
problem today, so have not discussed it on list yet.

o Add some JOIN regression tests. More should be and will be done, but I
don't want to keep holding back patches on this. Per Tom Lane's request.

The only one with some potential for user trouble is the INTERVAL format
change. The old code was wrong, but the format itself has been changed
to be a little more concise.

- Thomas