Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh)

From: Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop(at)alert(dot)infoplease(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh)
Date: 2000-11-03 18:18:11
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> > What part of "no new features in bug-fix releases" is giving people
> > trouble?
>
> Interesting observation here: the key developers seem to be much more
> exercised about this than the rest of the community. Counting core
> members and Peter we have three "no" and one "yes", whereas as best
> I recall the votes from the rest of pghackers are about 6 to 1 in
> favor.
>
> Make of that what you will --- but I'm going to yield the point,
> since the non-core sentiment seems to be very clear.

ISTM that devlopers are correctly concerned about policy. And ISTM that users place a slightly higher premium on administrative ease than they do on consistency. Nothing really wrong with that either.

My guess is that users would be very happy to yield on placing the script in /contrib if some alternate were proposed. I'd be just as happy if there were a link to the file on the download page. Or if it was placed in an "interim" directory or something like that. I just want it to be available. I would prefer if it could be done in a way that's consistent with the project policy, but that consistency is just slightly less important to me than short-term usability.

--
Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop(at)alert(dot)infoplease(dot)com
Learning Network Reference http://www.infoplease.com