[Question] Revamping btree gist implementation of inet

From: Ankit Kumar Pandey <itsankitkp(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pghackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [Question] Revamping btree gist implementation of inet
Date: 2023-02-09 15:36:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I was looking at bug mentioned at
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/201010112055.o9BKtZf7011251%40wwwmaster.postgresql.org

Issue appears to be in gbt_inet_compress which doesn't store inet
details like ip_family and netmask details in inetKEY and

gbt_inet_consistent which doesn't have enough info (as gbt_inet_compress
didn't store them) and

uses vague convert_network_to_scalar for performing operations.

Looking at reference implementation for inet in
src/backend/utils/adt/network_gist.c, if we add missing inet data

(as seen in GistInetKey) into inetKEY and refactor gbt_inet_consistent
to use network functions instead of using convert_network_to_scalar,
mentioned bugs might be alleviated.

I just to know if this is right direction to approach this problem?

Thanks,

Ankit