Re: how good is PostgreSQL

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle(at)acm(dot)org>
To: Arnold Gamboa <arnold(at)php4us(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how good is PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-11-01 00:20:04
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

a) Don't log to a database. Log data should be sent into a process
that collects any needed on-the-fly statistics and then outputs
into disk files (rotating hourly or daily depending on your needs).
This model is becoming pretty standard with Apache now; look at
rotatelog in the Apache distribution for an example.

b) Number of records isn't really the issue. Query complexity and
number of queries are more pertinent. Generally, for example, a
single SELECT that pulls in multiple rows is much faster than
a bunch of small SELECTs.

c) For very high traffic, you are going to have multiple front-end
servers. If you design the system carefully, you can have a single
shared network disk used by all of your front ends, then just stack
boxes in front of it. This doesn't give you endless scalability,
though;
at some point you'll saturate your network file server and/or
database
box.

d) PHP may not be a great choice. It doesn't provide a lot of hooks
for effective caching of database connections and/or results.
mod_perl or Java servlets may be better, depending on the details.

- Tim Kientzle