Re: True ACID under linux (no fsync)?

From: "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman(at)pacbell(dot)net>
To: "Poul L(dot) Christiansen" <poulc(at)cs(dot)auc(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: True ACID under linux (no fsync)?
Date: 2000-10-31 16:30:44
Lists: pgsql-general

I must have missed that one. How do you turn off fsync()??
I have lots of batch loading to do during which ACID is of no use.

++ kevin

"Poul L. Christiansen" wrote:

> Strange.
>
> I did a test on Redhat Linux 7.0 with fsync() turned off and my
> batchfile of inserts ran 10 times as fast. But that was on an slow PC
> with a slow IDE harddrive.
>
> What Linux distribution and kernel version are you running?
>
> Poul L. Christiansen
>
> "Gary Howland (During daytime)" wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just a quickie - I heard that linux does not have a working fsync() call
> > (it has no concept of raw devices). In other words, fsync cannot be used
> > to ensure that data is on disk (try it with a floppy - it returns IMMEDIATELY!!! - long before the write finishes)
> >
> > This is for ALL linuxes.
> >
> > Does this mean that postgres is unrealiable (or non ACID-conforming) under linux?
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > --
> > Friends help you move.
> > Real friends help you move bodies.

> > Free Unlimited Internet Access! Try it now!
> > http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/altavista/index.html

Kevin O'Gorman (805) 650-6274 mailto:kogorman(at)pacbell(dot)net
Permanent e-mail forwarder: mailto:Kevin.O'Gorman(dot)64(at)Alum(dot)Dartmouth(dot)org
At school: mailto:kogorman(at)cs(dot)ucsb(dot)edu
Web: http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~kogorman/index.html
Web: http://trixie.kosman.via.ayuda.com/~kevin/index.html

"There is a freedom lying beyond circumstance,
derived from the direct intuition that life can
be grounded upon its absorption in what is
changeless amid change"
-- Alfred North Whitehead