Re: benchmarks

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Clayton C(dot)" <clayton(at)marketingchallenge(dot)com>, sqllist <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: benchmarks
Date: 2000-10-28 06:24:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

Frankyl, Clayton:

Comparing PostgreSQL to MySQL is like comparing an 18-wheel Kenworth
to a Porsche. The two are not equivalent ... if you want a simple, very
very fast READ-ONLY database, use MySQL. If you want a full-featured
transaction-environment database for a huge, complex set of data, use
PostgreSQL.

Any benchmarks you find are likely comapring the two for hosting web
sites, which is unfair to PostgreSQL. If everything your database needs
to do is serve up page content, go for MySQL. If you've got to build a
60-user inventory management system, MySQL won't even bring you close -
heck, it's not even close to SQL92-compliant.

Oracle is another game altogether, though I can imagine Postgres
catching up in a few years. Still, the price tag for Oracle weeds out
all but the very serious and deep-pocketed. And stay away from MS SQL
Server ... I run two of the damn machines, and they're nothing but
grief.

-Josh
Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 436-9166
for law firms, small businesses fax 436-0137
and non-profit organizations. pager 338-4078
San Francisco