Re: MySQL -> pgsql

From: Ron Chmara <ron(at)Opus1(dot)COM>
To: Andrew Evans <andrew(at)zembu(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL -> pgsql
Date: 2000-10-21 07:53:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrew Evans wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 12:43:32AM -0700, Ron Chmara wrote:
> > I'm a bit late on this thread, but I'm currently wranging a large
> > set of migrations:
> > postgreSQL-> Oracle
> Would you mind explaining why your company's migrating a PostgreSQL
> database to Oracle? I'm hoping to go the other direction, replacing
> Oracle with PostgreSQL for a few commercial web sites.

Scalability concerns.

Specifically, about 2 GB of new record data+indicies per month. 2 Gb
of tiny records (it's for data-mining *massive* website logfiles, in
realtime), putting the live records into the 160-million-records-per-table
count.

When we went searching for "large data set" information, we couldn't
find anybody doing this on postgresql, and decided that we didn't
want to risk being first. :-)

Oracle, IMNSHO, sucks rocks for most things, but for scalabilty, the
table-as-file metaphor has real problems once a single table needs
to hit those insane levels.

-Bop

--
Brought to you from iBop the iMac, a MacOS, Win95, Win98, LinuxPPC machine,
which is currently in MacOS land. Your bopping may vary.