Re: Variable-length Types

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sqllist <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Variable-length Types
Date: 2000-10-15 18:31:40
Lists: pgsql-sql

Folks,

I'm a bit confused on custom type declarations, actually. I'd like to
create a custom type for American phone numbers, such that:

It takes a string and returns something that looks like Varchar(22);
If someone types in 10 digits, it returns output like (###) ###-####
If a user enters 7 digits, it picks a default area code and returns
(415) ###-####,
and if they type more than 10 digits or enter any digits after an "x",
they get (###) ###-#### x###

My questions are as follows:

1. Can I reference a custom function (phoneformat) in a type definition?

2. If 1. is "no", is there a way to do the above without programming the
type in C?

3. What sort of trouble am I going to get into trying to pull data from
a custom type into an external interface (i.e. PHP4)?

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 436-9166
for law firms, small businesses fax 436-0137
and non-profit organizations. pager 338-4078
San Francisco