Re: Strange error message

From: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgresql <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Strange error message
Date: 2000-10-02 05:42:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

Tom Lane wrote:

> Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com> writes:
> > we've suddenly started getting this error message out of postgres
> > (7.0.2). Does anybody know where it comes from?
>
> > ERROR: UNLockBuffer: buffer 0 is not locked
>
> Evidently something is passing an invalid buffer number to LockBuffer
> in src/backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr.c. (0 is InvalidBuffer, but
> LockBuffer won't notice that unless you compiled with asserts enabled.)
> Whatever the bug is, it's not directly LockBuffer's fault.

Right, I'vebuilt a new database and everything seemed fine for a while and
now I've got this message back. It is due to the index on one of our
tables getting messed up - at least, if we drop and recreate the index
everything is fine. What should I do to track down what is happening?
Compile with asserts, or run with specific logging? Any advice
appreciated!

Adriaan