Re: Redhat 7 and PgSQL

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Alfredo <csib(at)mweb(dot)com(dot)na>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Redhat 7 and PgSQL
Date: 2000-09-29 14:57:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> "Alfredo" <csib(at)mweb(dot)com(dot)na> writes:
> > I heard that MySQL is included in RH 7 instead of PgSQL. Is this
> > true?

> No. Postgresql is included, and is the one installed when choosing
> "SQL Server" under the custom category. To get MySQL, you would have
> to install them manually afterwards, select "everything" or choose to
> manually select packages.

Not to mention that the MySQL packages are the GPL'd 3.23 _alpha_ code.

> Of course, we may switch the defaults in the future if we think MySQL
> is a better database in terms of upgradability, reliability, features
> and performance but there are no such plans right now.

And PostgreSQL's reliability, features, and performance are sterling --
and the replication server being developed by PostgreSQL, Inc helps.
But, upgradability is, well, almost nonexistant. No,
dump/initdb/restore is not a real upgrade; it's a kludge (and doesn't
necessarily work). I know one datamodel in particular that is currently
having problems with databases restored from a pg_dump. We'll see if
the 7.1 pg_dump helps.

Currently, MySQL has us beat on the upgradability issue. And I cannot
overemphasize how important a smooth upgrade is to a distribution maker
like Red Hat.

I am looking at the feasibility of the upgrade utility I mentioned a few
weeks ago, and am finding it rough going. But, we'll see.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio