Re: Installation layout is still hazardous for shared prefixes

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installation layout is still hazardous for shared prefixes
Date: 2000-09-29 14:47:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

[useful an complete discussion of sbin-style programs and their place
snipped]

> (Not sure about pg_dump/pg_dumpall/pg_restore; are these of any
> significant use to non-superusers?) This would keep createuser/dropuser
> out of the shared bin directory, which certainly seem like the names
> most likely to cause conflicts.

pg_dump, yes, as a user might want to dump his own database.

> The man pages probably need to adopt the same division as the exes,
> ie some to /usr/local/man and some to /usr/local/pgsql/man.

Currently, since there is no collision in the executables there have
been no collisions in the man pages. But, I had a radical idea about
the man pages -- why not package a 'man database' as a dump, let someone
restore that dump into a database, then you can use SQL to access your
man pages. Of course, you still need docs outside the database, but,
with TOAST, this is possible.

Comments?

> Note that it'd be a real bad idea to abandon the option of the
> "traditional" install-tree configuration. For people like me, with
> three or four versions of Postgres hanging around on the same machine,
> it's critical to be able to install everything into a single private
> directory tree.

No one is advocating removing the 'traditional' packaging from the
options -- least of all me. Choice and flexibility are my bywords.
Currently, the PostgreSQL installation is very inflexible WRT the
directories under the installation dir.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio