Re: Fw: Talking with other Dbases.

From: Jeff Hoffmann <jeff(at)propertykey(dot)com>
To: Daryl Chance <dchance(at)valuedata(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fw: Talking with other Dbases.
Date: 2000-09-28 15:56:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Daryl Chance wrote:

> > > I know MySQL is fast but just remember, it's just "A filesystem with an
> > SQL
> > > interface" -- that's ALL... :-)
> >
> > Cool, thats what I needed to know. as for MySQL, thats about all I really
> > need :P.

without knowing the hardware organization & availability of software,
it's seems strange that you're considering different database systems
for things that one is perfectly capable of performing. it's a bit of a
fallacy that MySQL is better for read only database sites. on the low
end (fewer connections), MySQL might be faster, but you'd have trouble
buying hardware that was slow enough that you'd notice the difference.
i've never used MySQL on a heavily loaded web site, but i've heard
enough about MySQL breaking down to be a bit concerned about that. all
in all, i'm just not clear on why you're interested in the added
headache of multiple database systems & copying data between them.

--

Jeff Hoffmann
PropertyKey.com