Re: problem largeobject

From: Igor Gavriloff <igor(at)nupes(dot)cefetpr(dot)br>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem largeobject
Date: 2000-09-25 22:44:19
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

You can transfer data to the server thru an fileupload field in your
forms, then the web server will make that file available at a temp
location to the cgi. I use PHP for my programs, for me it's quite simple
to track where are the files, probably there must be an specification in
the servlets api on how to deal with fileuploads. Here we have machines
running Solaris, Linux and Windows, and this kind of treatment is
working just fine in our tests (this implementation's platform
independent). Just watch out the configs around where it sets a max size
that can be uploaded (servers, cgis...).
Just on remark: some OSs have a limitation in the max ammount of
files that can reside in one single directory: when it's reached it
starts to have an slower acces in that dir as more files are put into
it.
The "lo" interface puts all the files into the /...../pgsql/data/base
directory, so, in a system with heavy use of large objects, (as mine's
going to be) it would degradate the performance of the backend. I'm also
running Solaris where I run the postgres backend and the web daemon
(Apache), and I've found no information on how much files I can put into
a single dir, but had the information (from a person that works here)
that Solaris has an maximum ammount of files per filesystem (thought he
couldn't tell me how much), so, the possibility of having an limit in a
single dir isn't discarted.
Just for an example: Squid (an proxy server for the unix platform)
create several sub-dirs (and a couple more in each of them) in the main
cache dir to avoid system degradation. As I have noticed this in the few
days, I'm going to write my own code on how to deal with those files -
beside using the lo interface provided - before my system enters in a
production state. Another point it that it's hard to track an lo object
in a case of a system crash. Is it too much paranoya or not? Any
comments are welcome.

Igor.

--
Anyone can make an omelet with eggs. The trick is to make one with
none.