Re: Psql or test application hangs when interface is down for the DB server

From: "K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)" <niranjan(dot)k(at)nsn(dot)com>
To: "ext Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Psql or test application hangs when interface is down for the DB server
Date: 2008-07-16 05:55:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Currently the test application or the psql will unblock after ~15
minutes. This is a very huge time to realize for programs this situation
which do database updates.
As far as I have debugged, I see that the execution is waiting on
'poll()' system call in the function pqSocketPoll() which is called as a
result of 'PQexec()' and the timeout paramater provided will be -1,
which means infinite wait time. It not clear how this is getting
unblocked after 15 minutes. Who will write to the socket or who will
interrupt the poll() system call?

Is there any other workaround or alternative so that the situation about
the interface is down is known and based on that the 'PQexec' does not
get blocked for ~15 minutes.

regards,
Niranjan