Re: Status of new relation file naming

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Cc: "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Status of new relation file naming
Date: 2000-09-13 06:44:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Mikheev, Vadim" wrote:

> > My idea was to append a version number or oid on to the end
> > of the file name, and use that somehow.
>
> You'll lose all you would buy as soon as we'll begin to store many
> relations in single file...

Perhaps we could then use the name of DATASPACE = filename ?

Or will the fact that some relations are stored in the same file
be completely invisible to the user ?

> and I would like to implement this in 7.1

Will this new storage manager replace the current one or will one be
able to choose which storage manager to use (at compile time, at
startup, for each table)?

PostgreSQL started as an extensible ORDBMS, but IIRC at some stage
all other SMs were thrown out.

I don't think it would be a good idea to completely abandon the
notion of storage manager as a replacable component.

OTOH, the idea of storing single-inheritance hierarchies
(SQL3 CREATE UNDER) in one file would almost automatically get us
many benefits, like shared primary keys and automatic index inheriting.

Hannu