Don't know where to begin

From: Mark Cannata <markcann(at)mediaone(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Don't know where to begin
Date: 2000-09-12 02:16:50
Lists: pgsql-novice

I've been trying to use Postgresql on Redhat Linux for a while now with
no success.
I can't get the postmaster to start (I'm trying to start it as postgres)

I can't get initdb or createdb to run
the directory for pgsql is in /var/lib, is this the right directory?
I've read the postmaster man page and the documentation at the Postgres
site, but I can't seem to get anywhere.

Thanks for your time,
Mark