.bashrc for postgres user

From: Steve Petersen <spetey(at)umich(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: .bashrc for postgres user
Date: 2000-09-05 14:12:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hey folks,

Is there something I don't get about having an unusual home directory
like /var/lib/pgsql for the postgres user (in the RPM installation of
pgsql)? I like to start postmaster manually, but I don't like to type
the data directory each time. So I tried exporting EDITOR and PGDATA
env variables in postgres's .bashrc (in /var/lib/pgsql), but it doesn't
work. If I type '. .bashrc' before typing 'postmaster', though, it
works fine. What gives?

Thanks!
Steve