Re: Stats for inheritance trees

From: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stats for inheritance trees
Date: 2010-01-06 07:45:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Dec 29, 2009, at 6:29 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> * when a tabstat message comes in, increment changes_since_analyze by
> the sum of t_tuples_inserted + t_tuples_updated + t_tuples_deleted;
>
> * when an analyze report message comes in, reset changes_since_analyze
> to zero.

If that's being added, could we extend the concept to also keep a reltuples_delta column (name suggestions welcome!) that is = reltuples_delta + t_tuples_inserted - t_tuples_deleted, and then set reltuples_delta back to 0 after an analyze (or anything else that would reset reltuples)? That means you could use reltuples + reltuples_delta as a fairly accurate row count.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net