Re: AW: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?

From: Chris <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>
Subject: Re: AW: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?
Date: 2000-08-26 13:43:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> Hmmm. Let's make a little table, shall we?
>
> Proper name Nickname
> ----------- --------
> Chevrolet Chevy
> PostgreSQL Postgres
> Christopher Chris
> Marcus Marc
> Robert Bob
> Richard Rick
>
> Since I don't see Chevrolet changing their name to Chevy just because
> everyone calls it that, or Christopher Chris, Marcus Marc, Robert Bob,
> etc. why do you feel it necessary to change PostgreSQL to Postgres?

I would be far overstating my case to say it is "necessary". Only
putting forward an opinion that it is desirable.

The current release of PostgreSQL is 7.0. In reality it is release 3.0,
the four releases prior to that were known as Postgres. I don't see the
name change as having been desirable.

For Christopher -> Chris, I must say that this is one aspect I dislike
about my own name. I have deliberately chosen names for my own children
which are unlikely to require an abbreviation.

I could also draw up my own table of abbreviations which have become so
ubiquitous that the original names are all but forgotten. In fact one
could go through the dictionary and point out many of the words as
having arisen from an abbreviation of a longer expression.