Re: I screwed it up, my installation :(

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: AlphaByte <alan(at)alphabyte(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql list - admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql list - general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I screwed it up, my installation :(
Date: 2000-08-18 18:00:24
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

AlphaByte wrote:
> Checking postgresql installation: old version. Need to
> Upgrade.See /usr/doc/postgresql-7.0/README.rpm for more
> information.

> So please help me, I am desperate.

Did you read the upgrade instructions in
/usr/doc/postgresql-7.0.2/README.rpm, by chance? After you have read
the upgrade directions, I'll be happy to answer any question you may
have.

As to just changing the version number in /var/lib/pgsql, that's not a
good idea, as 7.0.2 has a different data format (system catalogs and
such) than 6.5.2 has. The upgrade has taken care of half the work --
the other half is fully documented in the README.rpm file mentioned in
the error message issued by the startup script.

As to why this is not fully automatic -- well, there are people running
mission-critical databases on PostgreSQL. Do I want to be responsible
for my automatic upgrade script trashing their database? (Not likely!)
Thus, there is a script, postgresql-dump, adapted from the Debian
package, and documented in README.rpm, that handles the back half in a
semi-automatic fashion -- but, as far as I know, and as far as I've
heard, it won't trash your data if you run it as documented in
README.rpm.

No, you didn't mess up anything -- you just need to finish the job the
rpm upgrade started for you.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio