Re: JDBC and Timestamps

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
Cc: "'Chris Ryan'" <chris(at)greatbridge(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC and Timestamps
Date: 2000-08-05 23:30:10
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> ... I'm noticing problems with the timestamp fields. The JDBC
> driver when writing a Timestamp value to postgres is passing the value
> to the backend as a String in the following format "yyyy-mm-dd
> hh:mm:ss.fffffffff" <-- the last part .fffffffff is nanosecs.

Do you actually need nanosecond (or sub-microsecond) resolution? At the
moment, Postgres rounds internal values *and* truncates printed results
to avoid accumulating internal roundoff errors. But I did that pretty
conservatively, rather than actually testing to see if it could carry
more precision.

If you want to test with more precision, we could try some variations...

- Thomas