Re: libperl.so

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Ron Peterson <rpeterson(at)wallacefloyd(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libperl.so
Date: 2000-08-04 21:36:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Ron Peterson wrote:
> I'm using Red Had 6.1, which has the perl-5.00503-6 rpm installed. Of
> course there are a jillion other packages which depend on this one.

> So my question is, what happens if I rpm -e perl, then make, make
> install the latest 5.6 source? Is my whole world going to fall apart?

Yes. You system will likely die a horrible screaming death. Maybe I
exaggerate a little, but Perl 5.6 is one reason the next RedHat is 7.0
and not 6.3. The rpm -e perl is going to die, unless you --force it.
Then you will have to reconfigure the new perl to be identical to the
old in setup -- and Perl 5.6 is not going to be identical in any case.

> I'm scared.

For good reason. If you must have Perl 5.6, upgrade to RedHat 7.0 when
it's released. If you must have pl/perl, (as the Pg module does _not_
require libperl.so), then see the instructions in the postgresql-7.0.2-2
rpm spec file, in the src.rpm. Or ask Karl DeBisschop on the
pgsql-hackers list.

If you are running the RPM distribution, and you're talking about the Pg
client-side perl module, then install postgresql-perl-7.0.2-2.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio