Re: hierarchy select question?

From: Craig Johannsen <cjohan(at)home(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: database(at)gurubase(dot)com
Subject: Re: hierarchy select question?
Date: 2000-08-03 18:02:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Joe Selko's book SQL for Smarties (Morgan Kaufmann, 1995)
Chapter 26 covers the topic querying and updating trees.
It describes several different approaches and some vendor
specific extensions for handling tree data.

It mentions CJ Date's EXPLODE(<table name>) operator that
would convert a table into another table with four columns:
-- the level number
-- the current node
-- the subordinate node
-- the sequence number

Tree structured data is so pervasive (discussion forums, bill of
materials, organization charts, software configuration, project
management, file directories, etc) one would think there ought
to be a lot of interest in making this easy to do in Postgres.

Is anyone interested to fund some development in this area?
This is likely to be a pretty big task, so if several interested
parties could pool their resources, it would make it much more
affordable.

Cheers,
Craig

Craig Johannsen