Re: Is Pg 7.0.x's Locking Mechanism BROKEN?

From: frank <f(dot)callaghan(at)ieee(dot)org>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Fabrice Scemama <fabrices(at)ximmo(dot)ftd(dot)fr>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is Pg 7.0.x's Locking Mechanism BROKEN?
Date: 2000-07-28 02:10:43
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck wrote:

> frank wrote:
> > Thanks Fabrice, that will help a lot.
> >
> > In my applications the conflict was not a direct table conflict e.g.
> > USER1 locks Table1 record that references Table2 via foreign key with a
> > cascade update/delete enforced then
> > USER2 tried to lock Table2 for update on the referenced record - result both
> > users locked !
> >
> > Is this the same scenario in your case ?
> > perhaps a simple test db could used to resolve if this is the issue !
>
> Looks like a deadlock situation not seen by the deadlock
> detection code. Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce a
> lockup with a simple test DB. Could you post a simple
> (trans1 does ..., trans2 does ...) sample so we coule
> reproduce such a lockup?

Hi Jan,

I shall try to reproduce the lockup with -d2 debug level but, I am not sure this
is the only
lockup problem as it seems far to frequent twice today already and thats in only
4 hours of use :(

Q1. When a system task on a client gets killed how long is it before the database
releases it's record locks ?

Q2. When the Postgres server is shutdown and re started shouldn't all the record
locks have been removed ?

This situation seems to be getting worse, now I am scared to leave the building.

Regards,
Frank.