Re: State of RPMs

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: State of RPMs
Date: 2000-07-24 13:55:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> > > They claim they are compatible with Red Hat Linux, so there shouldn't
> > > be any problems.

> > Hi Trond. There were a few issues on .bz2 vs .gz vs ?? for man pages and
> > input files

> No reason to touch those: If no tar.bz2 sources are available from
> postgresql.org, it shouldn't be used. Simple enough. If tar.bz2
> sources show up, we would be happy to use them.

> Bzipping of man pages is useless - and the way to handle it would be
> by not compressing at all in the specfile, as you can then handle it
> with an RPM build policy.

<RANT>
The RPM buildrootpolicy stuff is currently not available in Mandrake 7,
according to tars of the Mandrake RPM config. Nor is --buildpolicy
sufficiently documented to be able to use in a production third-party
RPM -- so, currently, at least, Mandrake RPM's either have no
compression or the specfile needs to specify the compression.

PLEASE -- LET'S GET THIS IMPORTANT FEATURE DOCUMENTED (and, if it IS
documented somewhere, a pointer to that documentation is NEEDED)!

And don't say that Mandrake needs to get with the program -- it's awful
hard to get with an _undocumented_ program. It's hard to use a feature
you don't know about. Just look at the confusion on rpm-list of rpm v4.

</RANT>

Sorry for the rant, but this issue is about to upset me... :-) I want
to be able to make the RPM's work well with more than RedHat without
special hacks that are not likely to be included in the RedHat
distribution RPM -- making my effort for One True Spec File vain.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio