Re: Duplicat-word typos in code comments

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Duplicat-word typos in code comments
Date: 2021-10-04 13:56:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

=?utf-8?Q?Dagfinn_Ilmari_Manns=C3=A5ker?= <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org> writes:
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
>> I avoided the reflow of the comments though to make it the minimal
>> change.

> Fair enough. I wasn't sure myself whether to do it or not.

The next pgindent run will do it anyway (except in comment blocks
starting in column 1).

I used to think it was better to go ahead and manually reflow, if you
use an editor that makes that easy. That way there are fewer commits
touching any one line of code, which is good when trying to review
code history. However, now that we've got the ability to make "git
blame" ignore pgindent commits, maybe it's better to leave that sort
of mechanical cleanup to pgindent, so that the substantive patch is
easier to review.

(But I'm not sure how well the ignore-these-commits behavior actually
works for cases like this.)