Re: BUG #16991: regclass is not case sensitive causing "relation does not exist" error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Federico <cfederico87(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16991: regclass is not case sensitive causing "relation does not exist" error
Date: 2021-05-04 23:18:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-docs

[ redirecting to pgsql-docs list ]

I wrote:
> Federico <cfederico87(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I did not come across that documented behavior while searching for regclass
>> in the pg docs. The most relevant page I was able to find was the Object
>> Identifier Types page that does not mention it.
>> I'll look into proposing a change in that docs page to mention it, if
>> that's the appropriate location for it.

> Hmm ... I *thought* it was documented, but perhaps not. If not,
> it's likely that the other reg* types are likewise underdocumented.

So what I was remembering was some text in the section about sequence
functions. That probably seemed appropriate when they were the only
real use of regclass; but these days we have regclass-accepting functions
all over, not to mention other OID alias types. I propose the attached
patch to move this info into the "Object Identifier Types" section.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
improve-docs-about-OID-alias-types-1.patch text/x-diff 10.8 KB