Order by in Select

From: Bernie Huang <bernie(dot)huang(at)ec(dot)gc(dot)ca>
To: PGSQL-SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Order by in Select
Date: 2000-07-20 00:25:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

I have a list of id's that I need to sort and fetch.

eg; 1,3,6,5,4,3,4,5,6,7,5,4,2

Select id
>From table
Order By id Asc;

it becomes like: 1,2,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,5,6,6,7

What can I add to the above sql statement so that is fetches the
specified id first in a sorted list?

eg: if $specified_id=5;
I want: 5,5,5,1,2,3,3,4,4,4,6,6,7

I could have done it in two different sql statements where one fetches
specified_id and the other fetches and sorts others, but I want to be
able to do it in one sql statement to reduce time.

Any ideas? Thank you!

- Bernie

Attachment Content-Type Size
bernie.huang.vcf text/x-vcard 315 bytes