Re: Pgadmin man page

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pgadmin man page
Date: 2000-07-19 02:33:19
Lists: pgsql-docs

> > > Why is there a pgadmin man page?
> Well, there is *no* pgadmin. At least on Unix, and man pages only exist on
> Unix.
> It's also kind of strange that we're shipping documentation for a program
> we're not actually shipping, when that program might better ship its own
> documentation. It's certainly nice to mention related products, but maybe
> a reference page is not the most appropriate form (especially since the
> reference page at hand is more like an advertisement anyway).

I wanted to have reference pages for useful programs. You are right, it
shouldn't be in the man page list (which is just specified in
sgml/Makefile).

The advert character of the page is due to my picking up text from
somewhere and stuffing it in to the page. afaik it is the only example
of a program in the docs which is not in the basic distro, but I'd like
to have some way to tie in to other apps and doc sets. Perhaps we should
put some text into the intro for the reference section?

- Thomas