Re: MS Access out-performs PostgreSQL 7?

From: "David C(dot) Hartwig Jr" <dchartwig(at)home(dot)com>
To: Joseph Sircy <webmaster(at)dnhawaii(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql list <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MS Access out-performs PostgreSQL 7?
Date: 2000-07-18 19:55:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

Joseph Sircy wrote:

> I would like to know why access is outperforming pgsql in a simple
> database setup. I have the exact same databases, one in access, the
> other in pgsql, on the same server, a linux box running redhat
> 6.2.They are being accessed by an asp page running IIS 4 on a NT box (
> i cant change that).The connection between the 2 servers is not the
> issue, we have made sure of that.Go to
> http://www.dnhawaii.com/data_test.asp and see for yourself.One thing I
> haven't done is post the source code for the page, but all are simple
> SELECT or UPDATE sql commands.Any comments would greatly be
> appreciated, as I may have to explain to higher ups why we NEED to run
> linux!!

I assume your units a are in seconds. If so, these numbers seem
reasonable; PostgreSQL is doing a bit more than work than Access.
Your test for a LIGHT load indicates this. You may want to consider
how each of these perform under a heavy load. Or not, if salability is
not at issue.

For most of the work I have done using web based transactions, less
than a second response times, are more than good enough. Most users
cannot discriminate these time differences. Its the other features
of the two databases that make the difference.