Re: PG12, PGXS and linking pgfeutils

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ian Barwick <ian(dot)barwick(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG12, PGXS and linking pgfeutils
Date: 2019-05-13 22:51:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2019-May-13, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I started working on a patch to do that, and soon noticed that there
>> are pre-existing files logging.[hc] in src/bin/pg_rewind/. This seems
>> like a Bad Thing, in fact the #includes in pg_rewind/ are already a
>> little confused due to this. I think we should either rename those
>> two pg_rewind files to something else, or rename the generic ones,
>> perhaps to "fe_logging.[hc]". The latter could be done nearly
>> trivially as part of the movement patch, but on cosmetic grounds
>> I'd be more inclined to do the former instead. Thoughts?

> I'd rename both :-)

On closer inspection, there's so little left in pg_rewind's logging.h/.c
(one function and a couple of global variables) that the better answer
is probably just to move those objects somewhere else and nuke the
separate files altogether. As attached.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
get-rid-of-pg_rewind-logging-files.patch text/x-diff 10.5 KB