Re: Update does not move row across foreign partitions in v11

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Derek Hans <derek(dot)hans(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Update does not move row across foreign partitions in v11
Date: 2019-03-06 04:18:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Fujita-san,

On 2019/03/06 13:04, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> (2019/03/06 11:34), Amit Langote wrote:
>> Ah, indeed.  In the documentation fix patch I'd posted, I also made
>> changes to release-11.sgml to link to the limitations section.  (I'm
>> attaching it here for your reference.)
>
> I'm not sure it's a good idea to make changes to the release notes like
> that, because 1) that would make the release notes verbose, and 2) it
> might end up doing the same thing to items that have some limitations in
> the existing/future release notes (eg, FOR EACH ROW triggers on
> partitioned tables added to V11 has the limitation listed on the
> limitation section, so the same link would be needed.), for consistency.

OK, sure. It just seemed to me that the original complainer found it
quite a bit surprising that such a limitation is not mentioned in the
release notes, but maybe that's fine. It seems we don't normally list
feature limitations in the release notes, which as you rightly say, would
make them verbose.

The main problem here is indeed that the limitation is not listed under
the partitioning limitations in ddl.sgml, where it's easier to notice than
in the UPDATE's page. I've updated my patch to remove the release-11.sgml
changes.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment Content-Type Size
document-update-row-movement-limitation.patch text/plain 592 bytes