Re: performance question

From: ernie cline <ernie(dot)cline(at)ipgdirect(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance question
Date: 2000-07-13 18:53:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

> ernie cline <ernie(dot)cline(at)ipgdirect(dot)com> writes:
> > Quick question. I am using postgres 7.0. When running a select query,
> > does postgres lock the row (or table) while doing a select? Only on an
> > insert/update/delete, right?
>
> SELECTs certainly don't block each other (except the SELECT FOR UPDATE
> variety).

I kind of didn't think so, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't
insane. ;)

> > We are experiencing some performance
> > problems when running 2 programs that access the database at once (only
> > doing querys, and not even complex ones).
>
> Need more detail ...

What else do you need to know? Postgres 7.0 compiled with default
options, running on a VA Linux Fullon box, kernel 2.2.13, running VA
Linux/Redhat 6.1. Box is a single processor pentium 3 500mhz, 128megs
of ram, apache 1.3.9. Using Perl DBI interface to access postgres. A
very small html page is built (about 4.5k), and it takes about 2.6
seconds to execute and build the html. Running 2 of the pages at once,
it takes about 5 seconds for them to complete. Not total, but 5 for
each one. This is using just unix 'time' command, and moving my mouse
to another rxvt window and hitting enter after first hitting it in
another window ;).

Is using Perl DBI slow? Would writing the cgi in C speed things up?
(Please no holy wars for perl vs. C performance! <G>)
Any help would be appreciated ...

-ernie