Re: Slashdot discussion

From: Graeme Merrall <graeme(at)inetix(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slashdot discussion
Date: 2000-07-10 06:37:31
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Chris Bitmead wrote:

> Graeme Merrall wrote:
> > Without wanting to starta thread war I think postgres is
> > great, but for many people the learning curve is too great and thus
> > MySQL is a good introduction.
Well speaking personally I found the documentation for MySQL better, the
install process simpler and getting stuff done just generally easier.
Things like phpMyAdmin just aren't out there for postgres although the
pgsql port is a pretty damn fine effort and I've never seen anything
like pgaccess for mysql. It may have been that I got my start in mSQL to
the transition was a little easier. Having said that, having now seen
Oracle and various other larger RDBMS's I understand the niches that
postgres and mysql fill. Postgres is now my DB of choice so I'm not
anti-mysql or anti-pgsql and if I don't like the docs that's fine, I
should just do something about it.
One thing that really cheeses me off are ppl going "Your documentation
sucks - do something about it" in an open source situation. There's the
CVS big fella, get writing. And if I was in a situation to do that, I
would.

Cheers,
Graeme