Re: Hash indexes

From: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hash indexes
Date: 2009-12-15 21:02:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Mladen Gogala
<mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com> wrote:

> My question is whether someone here has played with the hash indexes? Any
> words of caution or blissful experiences? Thanks.

I can't give experiences either way, but I've remember reading a post
to the pg_general mailing regarding this subject a couple of years
ago. Basically the advice was, since there the performance
differences between B-tree and Hash are negligible, why bother using
Hash indexes.

I cant find the post, but here is one that is a little more recent:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-10/msg00284.php

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.