Re: Synchronize filenames in table with filesystem

From: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ludwig Kniprath <ludwig(at)kni-online(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Synchronize filenames in table with filesystem
Date: 2009-12-01 17:34:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Ludwig Kniprath <ludwig(at)kni-online(dot)de> wrote:
> Hi List,
> not another question on how to store files (db or filesystem), i decided to use the filesystem.
>
> I'm now searching for a trigger, that deletes the physical file when deleting a database-record containing the filename in one of its fields. Is there a sample somewhere how this could be done? I'm runnig PG 8.4 on a windows machine.

Perhaps when you delete your record, you can use a before delete
trigger to insert this path to a "Files_To_Delete" table. Then using
Cron, you can query this table to get the list of file you want to
delete.

On the other hand, if you really want to delete each file with a
trigger, you are probably better off using Large Objects (lo):
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/lo.html

And in the off chance that you one day use the truncate command you
can periodically schedule the vacuumlo command:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/vacuumlo.html

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.