PG Windows Installer Feature Request

From: "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Postgres General List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PG Windows Installer Feature Request
Date: 2008-10-04 19:42:37
Lists: pgsql-general

[Symptom]:
During the installation the installer creates [start] task bar items
for editing the pg conf files. These menu commands are embedded with
the following commands:

"C:\Windows\System32\notepade.exe" C:\Program
Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data\pg_hba.conf

For me, I really don't like using notepad so for a time I would
rewrite this embedded command with the following:

"C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\gvim.exe" C:\Program
Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data\pg_hba.conf

The only problem is that I don't like having to repeat this process
every time I install PostgreSQL.

[Feature Request]:
I would be nice if the installer would create an Environment Variable
named something like EDITOR, that would point to the path of notepad.
The embedded links for the .conf files would now look like:

"%EDITOR%" C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data\pg_hba.conf

Then I would only have to change the value of 1 Environment Variable
rather than 3 menu item commands.

Also, maybe the stack build could include an option to install FOSS
editors and pagers as part of the PostgreSQL installation. Then the
entire process could be automated.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug