Re: 64-bit sequences

From: Paul Caskey <paul(at)nmxs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 64-bit sequences
Date: 2000-07-05 21:35:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Except for all the places that assume Oid is interchangeable with int.
> >> Finding them is left as an exercise for the student...
>
> > It would be nice to get OID to act as an unsigned 'int' in all places.
>
> Actually, I'd like to get rid of the assumption that it has anything
> to do with int. Signed or not is the least of my worries --- I'd like
> to be able to equate Oid to long long, for example.

So would I!

> regards, tom lane

BTW, the 32-bit oid implies a hard limit of 2 billion records on a single
server, right? What if that number hits ~2 billion over the course of
many inserts and deletes? Does it intelligently wrap back to 1 and find
holes in the sequence to re-use? Otherwise it's more than a limit on
records; it's a limit on inserts.

--
Paul Caskey paul(at)nmxs(dot)com Software Engineer
New Mexico Software 5041 Indian School NE Albuquerque, NM 87110