Tutorial ??

From: paul simdars <psimdars(at)lisco(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Tutorial ??
Date: 2000-07-01 01:53:00
Lists: pgsql-docs

My feeling is that a user's guide should tell a person how to actually
use the database system.
First, I believe you are unable to start the postmaster from the
information in the tutorial. I believe that is in the RPM readme.
Second, (and I don't know how to do this) is how to actually get into
it. I have read that somewhere but can't remember where. I think there
should be some simple instructions somewhere between 'setting up your
environment' and 'managing a database'. A tutorial should say " type
XXX at the prompt" to start postgres for user XXX. I have often found
that the basic and simple commands for linux programs are the hard ones
to find. I mean, if you look thru the index of the user's guide, where
would you look to see how to actually get the thing started? First
there is the whole SQL language and all its items, and then the perl and
tcl. Then we get to 'setting up the environment' and you think you are
getting close. The next items are all about creating databases, etc.
This seems like the place I would look. When you are actually ready to
set up a database, you tell the syntax about how to do that, but there
is no instruction about how to start up or log in.
Just a suggestion.