Re: AW: File versioning (was: Big 7.1 open items)

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "'Hiroshi Inoue'" <Inoue(at)seiren(dot)co(dot)jp>, "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: AW: File versioning (was: Big 7.1 open items)
Date: 2000-06-26 23:32:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

> > file-naming behavior
> > >
> > > I do not think the only problem of a failing rename of
> > "temp" to "new"
> > > on startup rollforward is issue enough to justify the additional
> > > complexity
> > > a version implys.
> >
> > Hmm,I've always mentioned about usual rollback and never mentioned
> > about rollforward on this topic AFAIR. Could you tell me what you mean
> > by * on startup rollforward* ?
>
> situation:
> $ alter table ...
>
> db crash before rename is done but rest was ok.
>
> $ startup

Doesn't above *startup* mean the startup of transaction recovery ?
Because I don't know Vadim's implementation about WAL well,I've
never taken WAL into account in this topic. I've always discussed
about usual rollback and so the problem you've pointed out is not
my point of discussion.
Seems we have discussed this topic from different POV.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp