ERROR: CREATE DATABASE solved

From: Javier Quiles <mrquiles(at)usc(dot)es>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ERROR: CREATE DATABASE solved
Date: 2000-06-20 10:21:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Javier Quiles wrote:

> Hallo
> I am so sorry to bother you with this (I guess) elemental question, but
> after two days of changing permissions and paths I do not know what to
> try next.
>
> I have downloaded and compiled and installed all the software in the
> distribution on a Sun Ultra 10 running Solaris 2.6. This was easy
> following your excellent documentation (really good, indeed).
>
> I have used exactly the same tree directory that you present in the
> installation guide. The only difference in this point was that the
> untared source of the distribution was in my directory
> (/home/user/shareware)
>
> After the installation (where I could not appreciate any abnormal
> behaviour or warning message) I have started the postmaster as the
> postgres user.
>
> After this I have used the command
> > createdb testdb
> and the answer is
> ERROR: CREATE DATABASE: Could not initialize database directory. Delete
> failed as well
> createdb: database creation failed
>
> When I use the psql program with
> > psql template1
> it works fine, and when I use CREATE DATABASE testdb, I get no error
> messages. If I quit after that and run
> > psql testdb
> The message is
> psql: FATAL 1: Database "testdb" does not exist in the system catalog.
>
> I know you must have lots of better things to do than answering to this
> nubbie question, but I have run out of ideas, so I would appreciate any
> help. Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> Javier Quiles

This second mail is to tell you that I have tried a second installation
with new paths and permissions and postgresql 7.0.2 is running happy in my
Ultra 10 under Solaris 2.6.

I am sorry to have bothered you with a problem for sure dealing with
permissions or configuration.

I hope I will send you more interesting questions in the future.

Thanks anyway and congratulations again for your nice job!

Javier Quiles