Re: International Address Format Standard

From: Gunther Schadow <gunther(at)aurora(dot)rg(dot)iupui(dot)edu>
To: Ron Peterson <rpeterson(at)yellowbank(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: International Address Format Standard
Date: 2000-06-18 02:41:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Ron,

the Universal Postal Union [http://www.upu.int] keeps some record
about internationally used address formats. However, what they have is
also not a standard, but more of an inventory of national peculiarities
[http://www.upu.int/addressing/AN/AN.pdf]. In HL7, an international
health care standard, we have been struggling with a standard address
format for quite a while, and we now came up with an alternative
solution, which is more like a text-markup approach than a fixed
data structure. This works well for addresses and person names. You
can see our draft specification at [http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu/v3dt],
and specifically you can see an explanation and example of our
approach at [http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu/v3dt/report.html#PostalAddress]

Hope this might help. If you have comments or suggestions, please
contact me.

thanks,
-Gunther

Ron Peterson wrote:

> Is there any such thing as a standard schema for international
> addresses? Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but one can always hope. I
> can find information about individual countries easily enough. But how
> about a general solution? Or is this just pie in the sky?
>
> Ron Peterson
> rpeterson(at)yellowbank(dot)com

Attachment Content-Type Size
gunther.vcf text/x-vcard 404 bytes