Re: Re: Mandrake RPMS, was "Building PostgreSQL 7.0.1 documentation"

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Jan Dittberner <jan(at)jan-dittberner(dot)de>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Mandrake RPMS, was "Building PostgreSQL 7.0.1 documentation"
Date: 2000-06-15 16:25:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:

> I can't find the original message, so I'll have to do some indirect answering.

[If you wish, I'll pipe you the original]
> Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> > Jan Dittberner wrote:
> > > I did so, I build packages for Mandrake. Your SPEC file is great and
> > > I had only to do some little changes for full Mandrake compliance.
> >
> > > - pack all source files with bzip2, even those you left
> > > uncompressed

> If the postgresql team releases bz2 - good. If there is no file

> ftp://foo.bar.com/xyzzy.tar.bz2

> but just

> ftp://foo.bar.com/xyzzy.tar.gz

> then using that URL is just lying. Don't do that. Surely Mandrake
> doesn't do that?

This source re-compress is not needed, really. After all, the whole
source RPM is compressed.... And, yes, as Thomas already commented,
this violates the pristine source issue. No, ftp.postgresql.org doesn't
do bzip2, yet (Marc??)

> > > - bzip2 all man pages

> Don't. This should be handled automatically with the "--buildpolicy"
> flag[1]. like we do. Besides, bzipping man pages is in the "use bzip2,
> even though there is no point in it" category.

> [1] Like this: "rpm -ba --buildpolicy redhat postgresql.spec"

> No need to strip or compress explicitly.

Which is why you had pulled the stripping stuff out of the spec... also
explains a portion of why the insistence on %{_mandir}, as that may be a
clue to rpm to apply 'policy' ??

Ok, now just _where_ is this '--buildpolicy' deal documented -- it sure
isn't in the man page on my 6.2 box. What sort of config file is used,
etc. I certainly like the sound of it, but have never heard of it
before.

If it is a new version of RPM thingy, well.... ;-)

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio