Re: Building PostgreSQL 7.0.1 documentation

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Jan Dittberner <jan(at)jan-dittberner(dot)de>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Building PostgreSQL 7.0.1 documentation
Date: 2000-06-14 12:35:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> These (docbook) tools produced a lot of warnings, is this default?

afaik, no. I've got a Mandrake 7.0.x machine at home, and a 7.0 laptop
which is apparently not quite the same thing since one was upgraded from
6.1 and the other was a clean install. But my laptop produces *no*
warnings or errors when building the Postgres 7.0.0 docs. Not sure about
the current state (e.g. pg-7.0.2) but it may be slightly broken. Will
check -- actually, I've just checked and you are right, the current tree
produces fatal errors from three files, though they will be easy to fix
up.

> > > I think I could test Mandrake RPMS from time to time.
> > Do you work with the cooker folks? If so, then perhaps you could
> > test and post Mandrake-specific RPMs which I've built? That would be
> > a big help...
> I'm not actually running the cooker distro, but I often commit
> RPMS to the cooker. I will upgrade to 7.1 next week, so that I'm
> not that far from the cooker. I had some contact with Lenny Cartier
> (Mandrakesoft) and think he would accept me as a maintainer for
> postgresql.
> I would post your RPMS if you want.

Great! I'm cc'ing Lamar Owens, who is the primary Redhat RPM maintainer.
My last try at building pg-7.0 RPMs for Mandrake from Lamar's RH
.src.rpm was a complete success with no additional patches required,
though I have not had a chance to try the pg-7.0.2 RPM build and have
not posted the results.

For the Mandrake stuff, perhaps we can do it as a team; the first
important step is for someone to start "babysitting" it, just building
and posting the RPMs from Lamar's sources, then posting the results at
Mandrake's web site.

btw, Lamar, can we put the .ps.gz doc files into the RPM distro, if you
haven't already done so? Or should we break them out into separate RPMs,
say for hardcopy and hardcopy-A4 or something like that?

- Thomas