view performance

From: Loïc TREGOUËT <loic(at)ext(dot)cri74(dot)org>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: view performance
Date: 2000-06-14 12:26:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello ,

I use a database to store log files . I have 2 Million rows by year
.
I want the maximum of performance when i access them from my web site so
i've started to make one table by year :
log2000 : contain all the log information of the year 2000
log 1999 : ..

I think now it's a bad idea because when i want to select on two table i
have :
column x is ambiguous !

But if i use only one table , it will be a huge table i will lose
performance . Isn't it ?

If i use view , i will not increase the performance because it's just a
view and not a table properly . Isn't it ?

Please help me , thanks

loic(at)ext(dot)cri74(dot)org