Re: What does RIR as in fireRIRrules stand for?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: fred yin <legendmakeryy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What does RIR as in fireRIRrules stand for?
Date: 2022-01-03 23:40:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

fred yin <legendmakeryy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I found this thread when trying to understand what RIR means in the source
> code. The explanation by Andres (which I find informative) is not in the
> code. Should we add it into the comment? I think it will be useful for
> readability.

There's this at the top of rewriteHandler.c:

* NOTES
* Some of the terms used in this file are of historic nature: "retrieve"
* was the PostQUEL keyword for what today is SELECT. "RIR" stands for
* "Retrieve-Instead-Retrieve", that is an ON SELECT DO INSTEAD SELECT rule
* (which has to be unconditional and where only one rule can exist on each
* relation).