Re: Remove pg_strtouint64(), use strtoull() directly

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove pg_strtouint64(), use strtoull() directly
Date: 2021-12-10 15:25:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> Therefore, remove pg_strtouint64(), and use strtoull() directly in all
> call sites.

Our experience with the variable size of "long" has left a sufficiently
bad taste in my mouth that I'm not enthused about adding hard-wired
assumptions that "long long" is identical to int64. So this seems like
it's going in the wrong direction, and giving up portability that we
might want back someday.

I'd be okay with making pg_strtouint64 into a really thin wrapper
(ie a macro, at least on most platforms). But please let's not
give up the notational distinction.