Re: Database/table limits ??????

From: Chris Albertson <calbertson(at)logicon(dot)com>
To: Ohgaki Yasuo <yasuo_ohgaki(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database/table limits ??????
Date: 2000-06-01 18:15:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

I looked at the FAQ also and IMO the word "unlimited" is a bit
unrealistic. "unlimited" means without limits. Come on now!
Postgres DOES have limits on the size of a database or table.
Very large limits but still limits. For example could I build
a table with 100 billion rows? No I'd run out of OIDs
I think you can say "In practice the limits are imposed by the
host OS and the processing power of current computers".

Or with the number of columns in a table. You could say "The
row length limit imposes a practical limit of XX columns".

You want to have unquestioned credibility so when you make fun
of the claims made by the MySQL people you are taken seriously.

Ohgaki Yasuo wrote:

> I've take a look at the FAQ on www.postgresql.org
>
> A few questions and a little problem about FAQ html that I noticed.

<SNIP>

--
Chris Albertson

calbertson(at)logicon(dot)com Voice: 626-351-0089 x17
Logicon, Pasadena California Fax: 626-351-0699